Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Five Reflective Questions

Where are you with the dissertation process?

Currently, I have completed a rudimentary draft of Chapters 1, 2, and 3 and will be looking at expanding upon these in my current course this quarter (Summer 2011).

How did you come up with your topic?

My specific topic has emerged from my interest in school community (connectedness) and technology. I am also interested in tools that help perpetuate educators conversations regarding student learning and outcomes (whether in a particular context or in a broader sense).

What is your favorite thing about writing a literature review? Least favorite?

I really enjoy looking at a topic from a comprehensive perspective. It allows the researcher to see how the topic was approached by others and provides an opportunity to see connections that can be made with the current research endeavor. My least favorite part is creating the APA reference list. Even with assistive software, it is a tedious task to complete.

What do you find most challenging about the academic writing process?

I find the most pressing issue is one of time. Given I have four children and a very supportive wife, I need to take time to nurture those relationships and be an active parent. The writing process (or at least how I need to write) takes a great deal of time. When you consider drafts and revisions to a project, it can take vast chunks of your personal time (outside of your work) in order to complete the task. This is an ongoing challenge for me.

If you could describe the process of disseration and/or academic writing in one word, what would it be?

Fulfillment

No comments:

Post a Comment