Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Video Reflections

In viewing the video (http://youtu.be/LIEeTsHBj98) regarding scholarly writing, specifically dissertations, I found the advice being offered very practical and sound. It really provided the framework to set you up for a positive writing experience. As with each of us, I'm sure some of the suggestions are more applicable than others. For me, I need an extensive block of time in which to engage in the writing process but once I get started, it is analogous to an athlete being in "the zone" or as the author put it "religious ecstasy".

The author did highlight some of the challenges many of us face. A particular one that came up was the importance of eliminating distractions (phone, work, family, social networking, etc.). Distractions take various forms and some of them are responsibilities rather than distractions.

One aspect that really resonated with me was the importance of collegiality in the writing process through peer review and in working with others in these endeavors. Whether it is sharing ideas about each other’s work or actually engaging in critical analysis of it, the collaboration carries a great deal of meaning. Having authored and co-authored articles in the past, I can speak to the fact that it is more enjoyable when the process is shared.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to appreciate your perspective as a published writer. This is not an area I have shown interest in, but am considering publishing down the line. Keep the practical advice coming for us "newbies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed this is an excellent article and creative way for the author to engage or capture the attention of the reader. After viewing the video my interest in reading the article was certainly heightened. I appreciate the different types of thinking that represent your reflective and informative ideas. In summary your writing shows:

    Evidence of creative thinking
    Evidence of critical thinking
    Representation of different types of cognitive skills
    (Comprehension, synthesis, analysis, evaluation)

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete